On the touring bike I have a Shimano dynamo hub and a B&M Luxos U Headlight with an USB output port. These are the devices needing power;
- Garmin Vista HCx which is powered by 2 X AA batteries. It also the bike computer.
- Black Diamond headlamp using 3XAAA
- Canon camera using 2 X AA.
- Cell phone
- Rear bicycle light 2 X AAA
So what I need is a device that can charge AA/AAA eneLoop batteries and in turn charge my cell phone. What I found was
- Goal Zero Guide 10 @ ~ $50.00
- PortaPow 4 X AA/AAA @ ~ $20.00
- PortaPow 3 X AAA @ ~ $15.00
- I’m certain there are others
I chose the PortaPow 3XAAA using AA to AAA adapters as it is a new device this year and looks to have a better packaging and electronics than the older 4 X AA/AAA device. Additional it has a LED flashlight built in to it.
The Goal Zero appears to have superior packaging along with its superior price. But it needs to charge 4 batteries at a time.
So during the day I will run the Garmin Vista off of batteries and charge the PortaPow battery pack off of the hub dynamo. If A/C power is available I can use an USB charger to fill up the batteries and cell phone.